Thursday, October 25, 2007

Lesson 4: October 25th

Today’s lesson: We studied the difference between the simple present form and the present continuous form. For example, “I smoke” means that you have a bad habit in general. “I am smoking” means that you have a cigarette in your hand, it is lit (on fire) and you are using it NOW.
We also used the present continuous and the “going to” form to express future plans. For example, “I am meeting my friends tomorrow night” and “I am going to meet my friends tomorrow night” both mean that you plan to go somewhere with your friends late tomorrow.
We also studied the comparative form of adjectives, and adverbs of manner. We learned that we can add –ER to an adjective with one syllable to make a comparative, but if the word is two syllables or more, we have to put the word “MORE” before the adjective. Don’t forget that two-syllable words ending with Y need to be changed by taking away the Y and adding –IER. After that, all you need to remember is to add the word THAN and you can compare two things. Example: My English course is MORE INTERESTING THAN my math course.” While you use adjectives to describe a noun, you use adverbs to describe a verb, or the way you do something. Example: “I speak English fluently.” Most adverbs end with –LY.
If you want to practice these forms of grammar, click on LINKS: English File 1; Grammar Files and Practice, Files 8 and 9.
I also gave you some texts to read in class: they are only for the students who followed the course today. If you want a copy, then ask a classmate.
The questions and answers to the texts can be found in the message after this one (above).
THERE IS NO CLASS NEXT WEEK: See you on November 8th!!!

No comments: